Biology

Course Description:  Biology is devoted to the study of living things and their processes. Throughout the year this course provides and opportunity for students to develop scientific process skills, laboratory techniques, and an understanding of the fundamental principles of living organisms. Topics of study include: the nature of science, chemistry of life, cells and cell division, photosynthesis and respiration, genetics and natural selection.

Labs:  All students must sign a lab safety contract, and pass a lab safety test with a minimum of 80%.  Failure to sign the contract, or pass the quiz, will prevent you from participating in labs.  If you are absent on the day of a lab, it must be made up within a week of the absence.

Grading:  Your semester work counts towards 80% of your overall grade.  The final exam makes up the other 20%.  Semester works is broken down as follows: assessments: 40%, labs: 25%, work habits: 15%, and classwork: 20%.

Required Materials: You will not be issued as Biology textbook.  I do have a classroom set of books available to use while in class if necessary.  If you wish to check out a book, please do so in the Library.

Other materials needed for this class include:

Binder ~1 ½”, with dividers

Paper – lined and graph

Writing utensils

#2 Pencils – for tests

Crayons or colored pencils

Ruler and scissors